A Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) is issued after graduation from tertiary training programs in Australia. This visa is an excellent opportunity for graduates to find a full-time job and apply the skills they learned. It has two streams that have their own rules and nuances. Let’s have a look at them:
Post-Study Work stream
This visa is for international students who have finished their degree from one of the Australian institutions. The duration of the visa depends on the course you have completed:
- Bachelor’s degree (including honours) – 2 years
- Master’s by coursework – 2 years
- Master’s by research – 3 years
- Doctoral degree – 4 years
- Hong Kong passport holders – 5 years (irrespective of a degree)
Please note that for this stream, it must be a degree-level program. For diplomas and trade qualification graduates, there is a Graduate Work stream.
Graduate Work stream
Unlike the previous stream, a Graduate Work stream is suitable not only for degrees but also for trade qualifications and diplomas and advanced diplomas. However, the qualification obtained must be from Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and comply with the requirements on this list.
Another difference is that you should nominate the occupation when you apply for a work visa. For example, if you completed a diploma in plumbing and services, you can nominate yourself as an ‘Air-conditioning and mechanical services plumber’.
Additionally, your skills must be assessed by a relevant assessing authority. To find out which authority should assess your qualification, you can use the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
The duration of the visa under the Graduate Work stream is 18 months.
Temporary Graduate Visa Requirements
You are eligible for the Temporary Graduate Visa if:
- You are under 50 years old;
- You completed a degree, a diploma or trade qualification;
- Your education provider is registered at CRICOS;
- Your study duration was at least two academic years (92 weeks), and you physically studied in Australia for at least 16 calendar months.
- It has not been more than six months since you completed your course.
It is possible to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa inside or outside Australia as the entire process is online. You can also include your partner and children in your application.
Documents For The Visa Application
To apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa – Post-Study Work stream, you must provide:
- A passport
- A completion letter and academic transcripts from your education provider
- IELTS 6.0 overall, with a minimum score of 5.0 for each part or equivalent
- Health insurance and a Medicare card
- Health examination results if required
- National Police Certificate issued by Australian Federal Police for the last 12 months
- Form 80 – personal particulars for character assessment
- Form 1221 – Additional personal particulars information
- Information about your partner and dependent children:
Passports and birth certificates;
Marriage certificate or proof of de facto relationship.
To apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa – Graduate Work stream, you must provide:
Everything mentioned above, plus
- Evidence of your skills assessment. It is necessary to apply for the assessment before you apply for the visa. If your assessment results are not ready yet, you can attach evidence that you have applied for it and submit the results to the visa officer as soon as they are ready.
From January 2021, 485 visa holders who studied and lived in regional Australia may apply for an extension of 485 visa. One or two extra years of work visa may be granted.
You can find the full list of documents on the Australian Government website.