You can move to Australia, the UK, Canada, Ireland or New Zealand by completing your professional education at local universities and colleges. After graduating from a university in one of these countries, you will receive not only a globally-recognised diploma but also a graduate work visa, which allows you to work in the area of your major.
Having an open work visa makes it easier to find a job since the employer does not have to go through the complicated and lengthy procedure of your work visa application.
The duration of the open work visa usually depends on your educational level at graduation and the length of your study.
- In Australia, it is the Temporary Graduate Visa. It is issued for a period that ranges from 18 months to 4 years. The duration of the study must be a minimum of two academic years.
- In Canada, it is a Post-Graduation Work Permit. It is issued for a period that ranges from 8 months to 3 years. The duration of the study must be at least 8 months.
- In New Zealand, It is the Post Study Work Visa. It is issued for up to 3 years. The duration of the study must be at least one academic year.
- In the United Kingdom, From the summer of 2021, there is also an immigration path for British university graduates. A work visa will be issued for up to two years and for graduates of PhD programs – up to three years.
- In Ireland, the study-based immigration program is called the Third Level Graduate Program. It allows those who have studied in Ireland for a bachelor’s or master’s degree to stay in the country for one more year to look for a job. Graduates of a master’s program can extend their visa for another year if they have not been able to find a job during the year.
We should also mention language courses in English-speaking countries. Although language courses are not an immigration path in their own right and do not lead to a work visa after the language course, this option can be useful for prospective immigrants whose occupations are on the lists of in-demand occupations. While you are in your home country it is difficult to find an employer who agrees to sponsor your work visa application, then wait several months until you receive it and arrive ready to work. Moreover, some professionals do not have sufficient English knowledge to successfully conduct an online interview or write a CV correctly. Going to the country of immigration for language courses means you can achieve a few practical goals simultaneously:
- Improve your English skills to the required level to ensure easy communication and enable you to undertake work in an English-speaking country;
- During your free time you can look for a job and attend interviews;
- Live in the country, and learn first-hand whether it is for you or not.
It is also worth noting that a student visa gives the right to work for about 20 hours a week in all countries. Thus, while still a student, you can find a part-time job and gain useful contacts and valuable local experience.