Work visas

Working in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and the UK has many advantages that sometimes become very influential in a person’s life. After all, working abroad gives:

  1. Improvement in English (and in some Canadian provinces, French) language, acquaintance with and immersion in a new culture different from your own. Studying or working in a country with a foreign language is the ideal environment for mastering the language.
  2. Foreign work experience, which enhances your CV  and consequently career advancement becomes real. In a recruiter’s eyes, a person with overseas work experience  has superior adaptability, a different work ethic , and knowledge of a foreign language. All these factors amount to a significant advantage in the labour market.
  3. New acquaintances, new knowledge, a new perspective of familiar things.
  4. Another salary level.
  5. The opportunity to stay in the country permanently and obtain residency and later citizenship.

In order to get the right to work full-time legally, you need to overcome the challenge of obtaining a work visa.

In most countries it is challenging to obtain a work visa and this is definitely true of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland and United Kingdom. An exception is made for specialists in high demand in areas with an acute shortage of qualified personnel.

You can read about professional immigration in our article.

Those who do not fall into this category should not despair because they can also get the right to work. For example, they can obtain an education in the country and get a work visa after studies.

Each country has its own requirements to obtain a work visa. Below, we will consider what work visas entail in different countries.

Australia work visas

Temporary work visas include:

  • Temporary Skill Shortage Visa – for those who have an invitation from an employer accredited to sponsor. Issued for a period of 2 to 4 years.
  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (for up to 5 years) and Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa – for those who plan to live and work in regional Australia.
  • A Temporary Graduate Work visa for university graduates – for a period of 1.5 to 5 years.

Resident work visas (Skilled Independent visa, Skilled Nominated visa, Employer Nomination Scheme) – for highly qualified specialists. In the case of the Employer Nomination Scheme, an invitation from the employer is required.

Read more about Australian work visas

New Zealand work visas

Essential Skills work visa – for highly qualified specialists who have received an invitation from an employer. Issued for a period of 1 to 3 years.

Skilled Migrant visa – for qualified professionals whose experience, education, etc., meet the requirements specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List. Issued for up to 30 months.

Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa – for those with specific skills required for an accredited employer. Issued for up to 30 months.

Working Holiday visa – for people under 30 who would like to work and travel in New Zealand. Issued for up to 12 months.

Post Study Work Visa – for university graduates. It is issued for a period of 1 to 3 years (depending on the training program).

Canadian work visas

To work in Canada, you need to obtain a Work Permit, which has 2 types:

Open Work Permit – with no restriction as to the employer. Partners of graduates and  holders of work visas fall into this category.

Post-Graduate Work Permit issued to graduates of Canadian universities also refers to the Open Work Permit and is given for 8 months to 3 years.

Employer-Specific Work Permit – for those who have an invitation from an employer who has the right to hire a foreign specialist.

Read more about Canadian work visas

The UK work visas

UK work visas can be divided into two categories: long-term and short-term.

Long-term visas include:

Skilled Worker visa – for qualified professionals who have received an invitation from the UK sponsoring employer. Issued for up to 5 years. An extension is possible. When applying for this work visa, you will need to provide proof of your level of English.

Intra-company visa – for those who are transferred to a UK branch within the same company. The visa is issued for up to 9 years (depending on the salary, visa type and other conditions).

Sportsperson visa – for athletes and coaches whose professional achievements are internationally recognised. It is issued for up to 3 years with the possibility of extension for another 3 years.

Minister of Religion visa – for clergy and workers of religious organisations who have received an invitation from the religious community of United Kingdom. Issued for a period of up to 3 years and 1 month.

Health and Care Worker visa – for qualified medical and social workers who have received an offer from a British employer. When applying for a visa, you must provide proof of your level of English. Issued for a period of up to 5 years with the possibility of renewal.

Global Talent visa – for those considered leaders in academic and research communities, arts, culture and digital technologies. Issued for up to 5 years. An extension is possible.

Short-term visas include Tier 5 visas (Temporary workers). They are issued for up to 12 months. Athletes, artists, religious workers, government and international employees, and seasonal workers are eligible for a Tier 5 visa.

The process of obtaining a work visa is quite difficult, but it has been greatly simplified for UK university graduates.

Read more about UK work visas

Ireland work visas

Basically there are only two types of work permits available to most depending on their profession:

Critical Skills Employment Permit – work permit for  occupations in demand ;

General Employment Permit is a common work permit for those whose profession is not on the list of those occupations in demand.

Both permits require  you to have an invitation from your employer.

Read more about work visas in Ireland

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with the latest news, events and offers
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Choose the country to learn more