Frequently Asked Questions

Where to begin? Choosing a path and program

How can I understand where to start?

Fill out our application form. It is important to answer all the questions in as much detail as possible, because each case is individual, and in order to find the optimal path, we need to know your background.

I do not want to study! It would be more convenient for me to go on a work visa. How can I do that?

You can get a work visa only if you have a Job Offer, which is not so easy to get remotely. If you already have a job offer, then we advise you to consult with our Kiwi Immigration lawyer for further steps.

To hire a foreign citizen, the employer must prove that there is no suitable specialist among locals, and this is a very time-consuming process. Employers prefer to take those who already have a work visa. That is why many people choose to come to NZ through training since after that there is the possibility of obtaining a work visa for a year or more.

Who are the specialists in demand?

The specialists in demand include those whose qualification is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List.

In addition to the coincidence of the name of your qualification with the name from the list, it is important that other requirements from the Immigration New Zealand website are met. For a realistic assessment of your chances, contact our Kiwi Immigration advisor.

I have an in-demand speciality, I found it in the lists. What advantages does it give me?

New Zealand is open to professionals of all specialities but being on the list means it will be easier to find a job.

If you meet all of the requirements on the list, you may consider looking for a job in the country while taking an English course. In your case, the employer will not have to prove why they are hiring a foreign specialist.

I already have an education, and I am already 35 years old. I did not plan to continue my studies. My main goal is immigration. Is it obligatory to study in my case?

According to the official information on the Immigration New Zealand website, to obtain residency, you need to score 160 points. You can read more about this on our website.

A job offer gives about 50 points, which is almost impossible to obtain remotely. That is why the easiest way to get a job is to study. After a year of study, you can get a work visa, which will allow you to look for a job. Age is not a hindrance, you can study in New Zealand at any age.

I am considering studying in New Zealand followed by immigration. How can I choose a program and how long do I need to study?

To choose a field of study, you must take into account your previous work experience or qualification. Training usually takes one year. You can choose programs lasting 1.5 and 2 years, but it often depends on your goals and financial capabilities.

It is undesirable to choose an area that is unfamiliar to you since there can be difficulties in finding a job after training due to the lack of experience. Moreover, you will face problems in obtaining a student visa. The immigration officer will not deal with the reason for choosing a completely new field of study and, for sure, will decline a visa application. Our managers can help you with the program choice.

Can you explain step by step the whole process from the moment of contacting you to my arrival in New Zealand?
  • You need to fill out an application form. It will help us study your case in detail.
  • Next, we will decide on a strategy and choose a program. Immediately after, you can start collecting visa documents.
  • As soon as you collect the documents, and the institute sends us an invitation to study, you can apply for a visa.
  • After receiving preliminary approval, you pay for the tuition and receive a student visa to New Zealand.
  • We organise a free airport pick-up, give you a SIM card and a socket adapter and take you to your accommodation.
I am offered a job in New Zealand, so I plan to come immediately on a work visa. Who can I contact for help in obtaining a work visa?

The Kiwi Education project is focused on consulting on student visas. For work and other types of visas, you can use the advice of specialists from our Kiwi Immigration project. The cost of a consultation is NZ $ 200. You can find other services by following the link.

Do you have any kind of support after a student comes to New Zealand? Can I contact you if I need any help?

We support all new arrivals: we meet them free of charge at the airport, give them an adapter for sockets and a SIM card. We can find accommodation for you and tell you how to open a bank account.

Where else can I find information about New Zealand to help me plan my move and make my final decision?

Education in New Zealand

When is it possible to start diploma programmes and language courses?

There are usually intakes in February and July. In private institutes, they can start more often. English courses start every Monday.

Why do the prices differ so much? There are programs for NZ$ 10,000 and there are similar ones for NZ$ 30,000. What’s the difference?

The cost of education depends on the type of education provider. There are three of them: universities, state institutes (polytechnics) and private institutes. For more information, see here.


Universities are the most expensive and the requirements are high, but the given knowledge is also at the appropriate level. Similar courses in private institutes are much more affordable, but it should be understood that low tuition fees influence teaching staff and other conditions.


State institutes are the middle way, you can get a good-quality education for a reasonable cost.

How to enrol on a programme? Do I have to take any exams?

You don’t have to take any exams except submitting a certificate of any international English test (IELTS Academic, TOEFL, PTE, etc.) Sometimes it’s necessary to provide other documents. For more information, apply to our managers.

What are credits?

They are some kind of points given for each subject (15-30 credits). To get a diploma of a certain level it’s necessary to score a fixed quantity of credits. If it is a 1-year programme there are 120 credits, if it’s a 2-year programme there are 240 credits and so on.

I don't know English at all, can I go to language courses in New Zealand?

The language of tuition in NZ is English. That’s why you’d better study the basis of English at home to understand everyday phrases and feel more confident during the lessons. For more information about language courses and our tips, see our website.

How much do language courses cost? How long do they last?

The cost can vary from NZ$ 120 to 450 a week depending on the school category and the duration. The longer period of study the more discount you can have. You can choose the duration and a start date yourself. We advise studying for 6 months (24 weeks) if you have a basic level of English. If you estimate your knowledge as intermediate, 6 months are also optimum, 14 weeks are minimum.

Where can I take IELTS to enrol on a programme? Can I take an alternative test?

IELTS can be taken in any certified centre.

If you don’t like IELTS or it doesn’t suit you, you can take one of the other official tests, including PTE, TOEFL, CAE, etc.

I've chosen the programme and I'm going to apply directly to the institution. I’ll certainly have an extra discount because the institution won’t have to pay any commission for me.

It doesn’t matter how you will apply, the cost will be the same. It’s the policy of institutions. More likely you’ll have a discount if you apply with the help of Kiwi Education. Besides this, we help to attain a student visa and our work is free in 90% of all the cases.

Can I put off the start date if my plans changed after applying for a visa?

To postpone studying is possible before and after applying for a visa. But there is a possibility that it will lead to additional expenses because you’ll have to update some of the documents.

I'm an economist/ a manager/ an accountant/ etc., but I always wanted to be a cook/ a gardener/ a programmer. Can I retrain in New Zealand?

If you want to change the profession radically, you’ll have to study from the beginning, so the duration will increase to at least 2 years. Thus, it’s important to understand that the drastic change in it will likely raise questions from an immigration officer.


Therefore, think about possible proof of your interest in the new sphere. There can be some courses, contests if you did it as a hobby. It can increase your chances of obtaining a visa.

I want to study any qualification in demand, because I'm a manager/ an economist/ a marketer/ etc. and I won’t be able to find a job.

If the occupation is in the skill shortage lists it means that it’s easier to find a job. But it doesn’t mean all other specialists will be unemployed. It’s really important to find the most logical way and the chances to obtain a visa will increase.

Student visa

How long does a student visa application processing take? When should I apply for a visa?

The official decision time is about 55 days, but it often changes. That’s why you’d better monitor it on the Immigration New Zealand website.


We recommend applying at least 2 months before the programme starts. It will let you come to New Zealand in time.

What documents are needed to apply for a visa?

The list of documents is rather long, and the exact list depends on your case. Therefore, we ask you to fill in our application form. If you have any questions concerning a visa, it’s better to apply to specialists, since the website of Immigration New Zealand doesn’t contain all the information.


You can make a request by email

Is it necessary to translate the documents to apply for a visa?

All the documents are to be translated by any translation agency. They should be certified with the stamp and don’t need the apostille. Some documents can be provided in English, such as international certificates, diplomas, reference letters or bank statements.

Will there be an interview with an immigration officer or not?

The documents are uploaded online. Applicants are not interviewed, an officer can call you, but it’s an exception. You will have to send your passport to the nearest visa centre for verification. See their location.

What period is a student visa given for? When does it become valid?

The visa is given for the period of study. It usually allows people to enter New Zealand a bit earlier and stay longer after. This time depends on an officer, it can be either a week or a month before/ after study.

What will be the name of my visa if I go to study? Will I be able to work?

This type of visa is Fee Paying Student Visa. Students can work for 20 hours a week if the period of study is longer than 14 weeks and it’s an education provider of the first category.


You can read our article about variants where students can work part-time.

I'm going to study English and then enrol on a diploma programme. Can I have a visa for the whole period of study?

You’ll have to get two visas: for language courses and for a diploma programme. There is a possibility to get one visa for both programmes, but there are certain conditions. Address to our managers for more information.

Should I leave New Zealand to apply for the following visa?

If you get a Fee Paying Student Visa for the first time, you will be able to get the second one without leaving New Zealand. But if you get a Limited Visa, you’ll have to leave the country. For more information about different types of visas, read our article.

There is a list of cities where it's possible to run a chest X-ray and a medical examination. The nearest clinic is 1000 km away from my place, can I get the proper medical documents in another clinic?

To run a medical examination is possible only in hospitals where there are approved panel physicians. You can find an address here.


The results will be sent directly to Immigration New Zealand. You’d better make an appointment in advance.

Tuition fees and living costs

When to pay a tuition fee?

The tuition fee has to be paid after receiving Approval in Principle. The AIP shows that the officer was satisfied with the provided data and the visa will be given after paying the tuition fee.

Can I pay a tuition fee partly?

A tuition fee is paid for the whole programme, otherwise, the officer can doubt your finances and withdraw the AIP. Besides, the visa is given for the period of prepaid education, so you don’t need extra waste of money and time.

Can I work during studying?

If you study English at an education provider of the first category and your course is longer than 14 weeks, you can work for 20 hours a week. The students of diploma programmes can work 20 hours without any restrictions.

What is the minimum wage?

The minimum wage in New Zealand is NZ$ 20 an hour in 2021.

Can I work off the books?

New Zealand is one of the least corrupted countries, therefore it’s desirable to avoid any law violation. It can lead to deportation and you won’t be able to enter New Zealand anymore. It can also complicate visiting other countries.

Can I earn enough for the following education working on minimum wage?

Earning minimum wage, you can cover part of your expenses for food and rental housing. But to save enough for education is practically impossible.

Are there any financial requirements for applying for a visa?

Before applying it’s necessary to take a bank statement providing the availability of funds for living in New Zealand. You need to show NZ$1250 for one month. It’s minimum for living without work. Besides, you need to show funds for education.

What kind of bank statement do I have to provide?

It must be a bank statement on the transactions for the last 6 months. If you had some major funds deposited, you have to explain them.


Please, contact us by our e-mail or write to your Kiwi Education manager.

Can my relatives/ friends be my sponsors if I don't have enough money?

It’s possible, but your sponsor has to provide some documents.

Can I open an account in a New Zealand bank to transfer money for the tuition fee?

You can open an account remotely, but you’ll be able to use it after activation which is only possible when you show at the bank in person.

What currency should I show in the account?

You can keep your money in accounts in any currency. An officer will recalculate funds in NZD at current rates.

What expenses will I have before the tuition fee?

You’ll have to pay a visa application fee of NZ$ 330 and visa centre fees (about NZ$ 40). Besides, there will be some expenditure for translating documents and a medical examination/ an X-ray (NZ$ 140- NZ$ 350).

How much do I really need for living in New Zealand?

For more understanding, read our article “The cost of living”. We hope it will be useful.

Moving with a partner and children

Can my partner get a visa if I go with my family? What kind of visa?

Partners can attain a visitor or a work visa. It depends on the education programme the student intends to enrol in. For more information, read our article.

When should we apply for a partner work visa?

It depends on the situation. It’s sometimes possible to apply together, but we recommend doing it separately. First, a student receives an AIP and then a partner applies.

If I go with my family, how much should I pay for my kids' school?

If a partner has a work visa, his/her kids are considered Domestic Students and go to school for free. If a partner has a student or visitor visa, the school for kids will cost NZ$ 12000-14000 per year.

How is the school programme in Russia is correlated with New Zealand?

There is no correlation. A child is placed in a certain grade according to their age. If a kid can study for free, it usually happens in the following way: you come, settle down and go to the nearest school where there is an interview with the child and their placement in a certain grade.

Should I show funds for living costs for my family members if I go with them to New Zealand?

Yes, you have to show NZ$ 4200 for everybody (for the whole period of living in NZ). You have to provide NZ$ 1250 per month and the tuition fee for a student.

Qualifications assessment in NZQA

Are diplomas of my country recognised in New Zealand?

You’d better find more information about qualification from your country on the official NZQA website.

What should I do if my diploma is not recognised?

There is a procedure of qualifications assessment according to the New Zealand educational system, which is undertaken by NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority). The process takes about 30 days and costs about NZ$ 700.

Is it obligatory to assess the diploma before applying for a student visa?

If your profession is on the shortage list and you go to study English and look for a job, your diploma should be assessed. If you enrol on a diploma programme and intend to get a New Zealand qualification, you don’t need any assessment. It’s enough to translate your diploma.

Are there any cases when it’s impossible to assess a diploma? What to do in this situation?

Anyway, NZQA will give you a certificate on your diploma qualification according to the New Zealand educational system. If you’re not satisfied with the result and your diploma doesn’t meet all the requirements for the skill shortage list, the best option is to study a similar diploma programme in New Zealand. As a rule, it takes about 1 or 1,5 year.


If I study in New Zealand, when will I be able to get residence?

According to the information on the Immigration New Zealand website, it’s possible to apply for residence when an applicant scores 160 points. On the official INZ website, there are all possible variants allowing to score points in every case.


There is similar information on our website.

Can I quit the programme and apply for residence if I find a job while studying?

There are some peculiarities and pitfalls, that’s why we recommend consulting an advisor from Kiwi Immigration.

Can I have a job in the sphere different from my New Zealand diploma when I apply for residence?

In order to score the points, it’s necessary to find a job related to your education in New Zealand. The name of the occupation shouldn’t be literally the same, but the officer needs to see the connection between your education and official duties.

What should my partner and kids do when I get the residence? Can they count on the residence?

According to the information on Immigration New Zealand, a partner and kids are attached to the application and get residence simultaneously with the applicant.

Kiwi Education work principles

How to get a consultation?

Fill in the application form via the link.


Your application is sent to a manager who answers within 24 hours. If you don’t get an answer, check your spam folder and contact us at

How do you consult?

We consult online, using different means of communication such as e-mail, Telegram, Skype.

Where do you have an office?

We have 3 offices in New Zealand. But most of our consulting managers work from Russia. So, it’s easier to communicate with you using online consultations.

Is your work free of charge indeed?

Helping students to enrol, we get some bonuses from education providers. Therefore, our work (in most cases) is free for students. For the full list of our services, click here.