How and where to count points for New Zealand permanent residence by Skilled Migrant Category:
All information provided from the official website Immigration New Zealand. The points indicator is a guide only. Only an immigration officer can award you points during their assessment of your visa application.
You can also find information about how to immigrate to New Zealand on our website.
How to count your points?
For residency (permanent residence) in New Zealand by category Skilled Migrant Category, currently, you need to score 160 points, as well as pass IELTS or its equivalent by 6.5 points.
Also, you need to meet the minimum wage requirements of NZ $ 25 per hour or more. This is equivalent to NZ $ 52,000 per year (40 hours per week).
Where you can count your points:
Example of points calculation with possible variations
- +30 points, if you are 20-39 years old
- +20 points, if you are 40-44 years old
- +10 points, if you are 45-49 years old
- +5 points, if you are 50-55 years old
Job offer or currently work in New Zealand:
- +50 points, if you have work or Job offer in New Zealand
- +10 points, if your work from the Skills Shortage List
- +30 points, if your work out of Auckland
- +20 points, if your salary from <$ 97,718 per year and more
Related work experience of your specialisation (requirements)
- +10 points, if 2 years experience
- +20 points, if 4 years experience
- +30 points, if 6 years experience
- +40 points, if 8 years experience
- +50 points, if 10 years experience
Related work experience of your specialisation in New Zealand
- +10 points, if experience from 1 year and more
Work experience from if the specialisation from the Skills Shortage List
- +10 points, if experience from 2-5 years
- +15 points, if experience from 6 years and more
- +40 points, if the education programme Level 4-6
- +50 points, if the education programme Level 7-8
- +70 points, if the education programme Level 9-10
Education in New Zealand:
- +10 points, if the education programme was 2 years and more, Bachelor Degree Level 7 (Note that Graduate Diploma Level 7 does not count)
- +10 points, if the education programme was 1 year and more from Level 8 and higher
- +15 points, if the education programme was 2 years and more from Level 8 and higher
Points for the partner, if (he/she) pass the IELTS Test to 6.5 score:
- +20 points, if the partner have qualification work
- +10 points, if the partner have education Level 7-8
- +20 points, if the partner have education Level 9-10
Just as an alternative, you can consider Residence From Work Category, the requirements of which are somewhat simpler:
- 2 years with an accredited employer with a salary of NZ $ 79,560 per year or more
- 2 years of work in the speciality from the lists demanded with a salary of NZ $ 45,000 per year or more. More information about the category on the INZ website
Education received in New Zealand can not only bring you extra points when immigrating, but in general give you the opportunity to successfully find a job, and therefore the chances of getting a New Zealand residency in principle.
This visa category is handled by our licensed Kiwi Immigration consultants. Please find more on our website.
To select the best option for moving through study and getting advice please contact us by filling out the form on the Kiwi Education website.